Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rt. 66 Fiber Rendezvous and Spin In

We had a great time at the Rt. 66 Fiber Rendezvous and Spin In at Edmond, Oklahoma yesterday! I saw so many spinning wheels, my dream list of spinning wheels to try just got a little longer! I also squeezed, felt and smelled (yes, I said smelled) lots of really pretty fibers! Color, color, color...my head is still swirling with all the pretty color combinations I saw.

Kate, of Lowder Colour Farms, one of my very favorite people, had several of her beautiful Wensleydale fleeces. I had to stay away! I still have the gorgeous chocolate brown from her last year that needs to be played with. But you can't stop a girl from looking!

Gwen and Donna from The Weavery at Indian Meridian were set up next to us. Those ladies know how to create a tempting booth! I immediately spied a deep cranberry batt, made up of merino, silk and bamboo. I decided it would be my one purchase of the day after I had a few sales. Well, someone else bought it before I could, but that is okay, it isn't like there is a wool shortage at my house. Instead, I decided to give in and spin my own hand dyed Blue Faced Leicester roving that I had with me. I had brought the little Mathieson wheel to this show because he is so portable, but he can be a bit cranky at times, and the bobbin I put on would not spin. Period. It just wouldn't. Donna commented that it looked to be the same size as some Ashford bobbins she had, and she brought one over. It is a perfect match! So now I have a source for more bobbins for my favorite little wheel!


Lisa Sasser, another one of my favorite people, had some of the prettiest wool from her flock. Her alpaca was so soft, I could have dove in and took a nap in heaven for awhile! And her batts.....ahhhhhhh....her batts, so very pretty, and such beautiful colors. But, alas, I have a feed bill to pay, so I had to be content with my new Ashford bobbin.


One more beauty to share - there was an extremely talented lady at the show, I think she was part of the Log Cabin Spinning Guild. She had brought some of her hand knit shawls to show. One of them was made from cashmere and angora that she had spun herself. It was a soft shade of tan, and looked like it could float, it was so light and airy. Such skill and patience!




I would have posted pictures of all of the lovelies I saw, but, as usual, when we pulled out of the driveway at 4 am yesterday moring to head off to the show, my camera was still sitting on the kitchen counter. Good place for it. At least I knew exactly where it was every time I wanted to use it yesterday!

~Lori

1 comment:

  1. I bought the 4 ounces of Smokey and just finished plying it this evening. It's drying now, but it's really wonderful. I was thinking something fine, but it didn't really want to go there for the mood I was in this weekend. So there are about 205 yards of a worsted-ish weight yarn and it's LUSCIOUS. Thank you so much for parting with it!

    ReplyDelete