Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Happy Memorial Day! I hope you have taken the time today to remember the brave men and women who have made huge sacrifices in order to guarantee our freedom and way of life. I feel that we owe a huge debt to all of the soldiers and their families, past, present and future, for what they give up for us.


I have finally had time to start washing up fleece from this year's shearing. I have been playing with some of the most beautiful Border Leicester fleece I have ever laid eyes on. It is silvery-brown, and was graciously grown by my favorite ram, Smokey. Unlike a lot of BL, his fleece is fairly soft, so it will be perfect for lots of potential projects. I also have some more of Ava's fleece washed. She is another BL, and her fleece spins up into a dark tortoise shell yarn with lots of drape. I am about to ply two singles from Tessa, one of the white Cotswold cross girls. Mom washed and flicked the locks out, and I have been spinning from the locks. It should be a soft, fuzzy yarn.

We are busy gearing up for more shows. First, we will be in Edmond, Oklahoma on June 11 for the Route 66 Fiber Rendezvous. Then we have Fiber Christmas in July in Kellyville, Oklahoma the last weekend (Friday and Saturday) in July. Mom and I have been working hard to get naturally colored wool from my flock ready to bring to these shows. I might also have a couple of whole fleeces from the herd, and definitely some washed wool, yarn, and the luscious hand pulled rovings.

We will also have ewe lambs, ram lambs, and wether fiber pets ready to go to new homes soon. We have several Shetland/Border Leicester crossbred lambs, which have AWESOME fiber. It has the softness of Shetland, and the length of Border Leicester. We will have several registered and full blood Shetlands, one full blood Border Leicester fella, plus several other lambs that were crossbred for beautiful handspinning fiber. Prices will start at $75. If you think you might be interested in any fiber animals, contact me at:

lorisarahbrown@gmail.com

We DO NOT want any of our lambs to wind up on someones dinner table, so we are hoping to find homes that will appreciate the gorgeous fiber they have to offer.

~Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment