Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Adventure

Tomorrow starts a new adventure for our family. We are driving to Missouri to (hopefully) pick up a Jersey heifer cow! Yep, that's right, we are going to try our hand at milking. Course, it will be a while before we see any dairy goodness - she is just 7 months old. But I am still dreaming of fresh milk, butter, real cream for my morning coffee, and PUDDING!!! I will be able to make home made pudding and not have to worry about using up most of a gallon of milk! (Can you tell I like pudding?) There will be a lot of learning involved. The only opportunity I have ever had to milk a cow, I chickened out because my head was awfully close to her giant skull crushing hooves and I just couldn't do it. My hubby has milked cows and even worked in a dairy in his youth, so he has a much better understanding. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Did the weather permit you to go get your cow? Or Cows? I love Jersey cows...the thick cream and homemade butter...to die for! I of course will need pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your new additions! And, I can't wait to hear of all the things you are making with all that yummy milk. Maybe by the time you are getting milk, we will have our milk cow (BIG MAYBE) and we can share adventures!
    Hearing that you are doing it gives me encouragement that it could be real for us someday soon, too.
    So excited for you (can you tell?)!!!

    ReplyDelete