Saturday, June 12, 2010

I have spent most of this weekend working on the raw fleeces that are piling up in my house. Most are from our own herd of sheep, but several are fleeces I have purchased. I dyed some Wensleydale locks in pale rose and golden yellow - they are very pretty and shiny. I can't decide whether to keep them for myself or put them in the shop. I also washed, dyed, and carded up some of the new cotswold fleece. It is silky smooth, so I carded it with some undyed wool top and it is gorgeous! My favorite, and the one I spent the most time on is Esther's fleece. She is one of the first three wool sheep that we purchased for Sarah's Sheep Farm, and probably my favorite. She loves kisses and expects attention when you are outside.



Esther is a shetland/BL cross and has looooong locks. Here is her fleece before it was skirted.



And here are some of the locks after they have been washed and combed.





I have about 3 ounces of them complete. They are a lovely grey that fades to cocoa on the ends.



I also had another one of those classic moments where you do something stupid and instantly realize what you just did. I was dyeing some of the cotswold and it wasn't taking dye as fast as I wanted it to. (by the way...I do everything in a hurry...it's a fatal flaw!) So, quick as a wink I stuck my hand in the dyepot to squish it around. Did I mention I was using purple dye? I just stood there like a dummy for a second or two, thinking about how I was going to explain this to my friends at church tomorrow, then yanked my hand out and snatched up the gritty hand cleaner my hubby uses when he has been working on the tractor. Purple is now gone and I have the softest hands from all that exfoliating! I would like to think I learned my lesson and won't do it again, but I have been eyeing those cotswold curls thinking how pretty they would be in a sage green..................

No comments:

Post a Comment